1/08/2009

The first of many endeavors for 2009

So, I've started something of a little book club. Some days I'm not sure I'm exactly the kind of person that I'd want leading a book club, but selfishly I need some deadlines or else I will read the first 50 pages of every book in the book store (well, almost). Strangely, it doesn't really matter how well I like a book, I can always walk away from it. Book number one: The Shack by William P. Young was our first endeavor. There was a lot I liked about the book, yet I'm not entirely thrilled with their push for people to talk about it, blog about it and tell everyone they know in every form of media how great it is. I personally loved it, and that's about all I'm going to say about it here. Next on the list--- Boundaries by Cloud and Townsend. I've owned this book for a while and am excited to be reading it more thoroughly this time through. After we make it through the Boundaries book the next book to make it on the list is The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. Since this book is over 500 pages, I've gotten a small head start on it and so far... I'm pretty psyched about it. The ridiculous part is---I think this a book that I would get so much more out of if I were forced to write a paper. The things I miss about college. Sigh.

And, actually, that's the end of the list. What's embarrassing is that, although I suggested the first book, I have yet to commit a work to the list for this year. Yikes! Should I look for a classic I've always wanted to read, one I've already read that I would like to skim and discuss more thoroughly, a hot new read, one already endorsed by some famous person/show etc., one with "book club" discussion questions in the back??? Presently, there are so many books on my list I do not see how I could single one lonely novel out. What about the rest? When can it be their turn? Perhaps I will pick out three and the "club" can decide the fate of my book-reading future.

Ultimately no one's losing. I'm back to reading, and perhaps I'll find myself thinking or even blogging with purpose once again. Reading's a good enough start for me.

3 comments:

Miriam said...

I have a PILE of books to read...start at the top and work your way down. That is how I came up with my recommendation. :-P

John B. said...

Good to have you back, first of all. Happy New Year to you and yours.

I haven't read it, but from what I know about The Time Traveler's Wife, that should be an excellent book for the club: accessible and yet serious, something that doesn't need to be "taught," if you know what I mean. As for choosing books to discuss, lots depends on who the other people in the club are: their level of sophistication as readers; their interests; etc. But don't be too accommodating; there has to be something in it for you as a reader, too.

Let us know how it goes.

Janette said...

Not that it sounds like you need any additional titles to choose from -- but this past summer I read the entire "Yada Yada Prayer Group" series and it was GREAT. I'm typically more of a non-fiction reader, but this series was Christmas fiction and I loved then. Burts and Mendenhall's have also read them -- Mendenhall's actually own them. I checked mine out from the public library!!

I love to read -- and am half way through "The Shack". I have to admit while I like it, I find it confusing at times, and I find myself re-reading chapters to understand them better. I'm stuck where I am and have put it down during the busy month of December, but hope to pick it back up and finish it next week!!!