11/02/2007

Yesterday, I found an article about something, despite its enormous popularity, I knew very little about. Despite my lack of personal knowledge, the points made are right on. Check it out here: http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=78&aid=132272 Roy Paul Clark accuses J.K. Rowling, of crossing the line. I do not pretend to know anything about Harry Potter or any defensive reasoning its author might have, but ugh, how could she do this? Clark makes his point in relation to literature, but what if the same thing were to happen in film? If something is pertinent enough to mention later, it should have been included in the script/article/novel... or blog.

2 comments:

John B. said...

Thanks for the link to my place, first of all. I like the looks of the new place, too. I hope some folks find their way here.

As to Rowling's revelation about Dumbledore, I don't know what to think of it. Rowling isn't the first writer who has imagined elaborate backstories for her characters that never make it directly into the novels they appear in. I personally am not too upset about it; it's not as though the plots of any of the novels hinge on any of the characters' sexuality, least of all the adults. So Dumbledore's sexuality doesn't matter, as far as the novels are concerned . . . which, of course, begs the question of why Rowling felt compelled to say anything at all, to anyone, in or out of the novels. That's the mystery to me.

Janette said...

I totally agree with the last part of john b's comment....if Rowling didn't care to make this sexuality a part of the story -- what's the point of bringing it AFTER the fact? Really blew my mind and made me disappointed/frustrated when I first read this on MSN (not that I've seen any of the Harry Potter movies -- but I'd feel the same way no matter what book/movie it was -- however, it's sickening to think how many kids really read and "treasure" this series and now have this thrown in their face). Uggh!